Mount Meru 4 Days 3 Nights Trekking
Mount Meru is the best for acclimatization prior to Mount Kilimanjaro climb; The Mountain is the fifth highest peak in Africa and is the second-highest mountain in Tanzania at 4,565m.
Day 1: Momela Gate to Miriakamba Hut
• Elevation(m): (1,387 m to (1,500 m)
• Elevation(ft): 4,921 ft) to 3,000 ft )
• Distance: 10 km
• Hiking Time: 4-6 hours
• Vegetation Zone: Montane Forest.
We drive from Arusha to Momela Gate. After a short registration at the Gate, our walk will begin with full armed ranger escorting us, simply we can see along the way the wild animals including elephants, zebras, and giraffes, monkeys, antelope, and often elephants along the route.
Dinner and overnight night at Meriakamba Hut.
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut to Saddle Hut
• Elevation(m): 2,514 m to 3,570 m
• Elevation(ft): 8,250 ft to 11,712 ft
• Distance: 8 km
• Hiking Time: 3-5 hours
• Elevation: Forest and Moorland.
The walk from Miriakamba Hut to the saddle below Little Meru is a short day but a steep climb.
The walk will take us slowly along the ridge for a spectacular view of the Meru Crater and the impressive Ash Cone.
After hot lunch at Saddle Hut, we can make a short climb to the summit of Little Meru (3,820m) for superb views just before sunset.
Dinner and overnight night at Saddle Hut
Day 3: Summit Day
• Elevation(m): 3,570 m to 4,565m to 2,514m
• Elevation(ft): 14,977ft to 11,712 ft to 8,250ft
• Distance: 5 km up 13 km down
• Hiking Time: 10 – 12 hours
• Vegetation: Alpine Desert Moorland and Montane forest.
We start early at around 1:30 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m.) and onto Cobra Point (4350m). We reach the summit (4,566 m) on time for sunrise there is a possibility to see Kilimanjaro Peak above the clouds. The final part of the climb is along a spectacular narrow ridgeline between the sheer inner cliffs and the sloping outer wall of the crater.
We take a short rest and brunch at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to the Meriakamba Hut.
Day 4: Meriakamba Hut to Momella Gate to Arusha
• Elevation(m): 2,514 m to 1,500 m to 1,387 m
• Elevation(ft): 4,921 ft to 8,250 ft to 4,921ft
• Distance: 10 km
• Hiking time: 2-4 hours
• Habitat: Montane Forest
We take a short and fast descent way through open grassland and mixed forest, with the possibility of seeing wildlife before reaching Momella Gate in the late morning.
The returning transfer will be waiting at Momella Gate to pick you in Arusha